The local dumpster services verified by Hometown Dumpster Rental typically offer multiple dumpster sizes to meet your needs. Roll off dumpster sizes are measured in cubic yards. Typical dumpster sizes offered are 10, 20, 30 & 40 yard dumpsters, though some haulers offer other sizes as well.
Get detailed information about each of the most common dumpster sizes by visiting the following pages:
- Types of 10 yard dumpsters and common uses for compact dumpsters
- When a 20 yard dumpster is the right container for the job
- All you need to know about 30 yard dumpsters
- Essential tips for renting a 40 yard dumpster
We've included common dumpster dimensions for each of these containers below.
10 Yard Dumpster
A 10 yard dumpster can hold 10 cubic yards of waste. Common dumpster dimensions for a 10 yard dumpster are: 12 ft. long by 8 ft. wide by 4 ft. high (dumpster sizes and dimensions may vary for your local dumpster service). There's no perfect way to choose dumpster sizes, but a 10 yard dumpster may be appropriate for a smaller residential cleanup projects.
What would fit in a 10-yard dumpster?
- Basement or garage debris cleanout
- 250 sq. ft deck removal
- 1,500 sq. ft. of roof shingles (single layer)
- Small kitchen or bath remodeling job
20 Yard Dumpster
A 20 yard dumpster holds 20 cubic yards of waste. Common dumpster dimensions for a 20 yard dumpster are: 22 ft. long by 8 ft. wide by 4.5 ft. high. A 20 yard container is the right dumpster size for a projects larger cleanups. A 20-yarder can hold approximately 10 pickup truck loads of waste and debris (this may vary). This is one of the most popular dumpster sizes because of its price, compact footprint and capacity.
What would fit in a 20-yard dumpster?
- Basement, attic, or garage cleanup
- Flooring and carpet removal for a large house
- 300 to 400 square feet of deck removal
- 2,500 to 3,000 sq. ft. of single layer roof shingle removal
30 Yard Dumpster
A 30 yard dumpster holds 30 cubic yards of waste. Common dumpster dimensions for a 30 yard dumpster are: 22 ft. long by 8 ft. wide by 6 ft. high (remember, dumpster sizes can vary, so ask your local roll off dumpster service). A 30 yard dumpster may be the right solution for complete residential cleanouts and commercial cleanup projects.
What would fit in a 30-yard dumpster?
- Major home addition
- New home construction
- Garage demolition
- Whole-home window or siding replacement (small-to-medium size home)
40 Yard Dumpster
A 40 yard dumpster holds 40 cubic yards of waste. Again, dumpster sizes and dumpster dimensions are not standardized, but common dumpster dimensions for a 40 yard dumpster are: 22 ft. long by 8 ft. wide by 8 ft. high. A 40 yard dumpster is ideal for large residential projects, commercial cleanups and industrial applications.
What would fit in a 40-yard dumpster?
- Window or siding replacement for a large home
- Commercial roof tear off
- Commercial or office building cleanout
- New construction or major addition (larger home)
- Large amounts of demolition debris, trash, paper, or cardboard
Roll Off Dumpster Sizes: Call for Help
Choosing dumpster sizes is not an exact science, but your local roll off dumpster service can help. Most offer multiple dumpster sizes and can help you find the right roll off dumpster for your job.