30 Yard Dumpster Dimensions and Usage Guide
30 Yard Dumpster Dimensions and Usage Guide
How big is a 30 yard dumpster? The answer varies from dumpster-to-dumpster, but we’ll cover the average dimensions of a 30 yard dumpster, as well as the most common 30 yard dumpster weight capacity, and its best uses.
The typical 30 yard dumpster length is 22 feet (may vary). These containers can hold up to 15 pick-up truck loads worth of waste, junk or debris.
30 yard dumpster dimensions
Dumpsters come in various shapes and sizes, but a typical 30 yard roll-off dumpster measures: 22 ft. long by 8 ft. wide by 6 ft. high.
Depending on what the dumpster rental company offers, they may have 30 yarders in stock with taller sides and a shorter length. They may also have 30 yard dumpster trailers rather than roll-off containers.
RELATED: Complete guide to dumpster sizes
Don’t just assume every 30 yard dumpster is a standard roll-off container—ask! Some rental companies rent out dump trailers, uniquely sized dumpsters (e.g., residential-friendly), etc.
By contacting several dumpster rental companies in your area, you can have a better shot at finding the right type and size of dumpster for your project. For example, a rubber-wheeled trailer dumpster may be the ideal option when the ground where the dumpster is to be placed is soft or easily damaged. Call around to find a dumpster solution to meet your needs.
Weight capacity of 30 yard dumpsters
Every 30 yard dumpster rental comes with a stated weight allowance. This is the total weight of the waste or debris allowed in the container. This number varies from 2 tons (4,000 lbs.) up to an unlimited amount of weight (restrictions apply).
The average weight allowed in 30 yard dumpsters is 4 to 5 tons, or 8,000 to 10,000 lbs. The average roll-off container load of waste weighs about 340 pounds per cubic yard.
Looking at the numbers…
- 30 yards of loosely loaded general wastes weighs 9,000 lbs.
- 15 yards of tightly packed, or wet, general waste weighs about 9,000 lbs.
- 30 yards of loosely loaded construction debris weighs about 12,000 lbs.
- 15 yards of yard waste weighs about 9,000 lbs.
- 20 yards of drywall debris weighs about 10,000 lbs.
Mentioned above is that a small number of dumpster rental companies allow for an “unlimited” weight in some of their roll-off containers. However, there are restrictions on the type of debris and how high it can be loaded in the container.
Heavy debris, like concrete or dirt for example, would not be allowed to fill an entire 30 yard dumpster. The weight of such a dumpster load would exceed the lifting capacity of the roll-off truck. Weight restrictions related to hauling such a heavy load comes into play here, as well.
When to use 30 yard dumpsters
30 yard trash containers are ideal for construction, demolition, and cleanout projects.
These bins are not always the best option for heavy debris, such as dirt, roofing shingles, or concrete. Heavy debris is best disposed of in smaller dumpsters (e.g., 10 yard dumpsters). Your dumpster rental provider will help guide you in choosing the ideal dumpster for the job.
30 yarders are great for:
- Large garage cleanout
- Large deck removal (500-1,000 square feet)
- Kitchen & bathroom renovation
- Disposing of junk when moving out/in
- Small home demolition, or shed/garage/barn demo
- Swimming pool demo
- Construction of small home, cottage, or cabin
- Large yard waste removal
- Cleanout situations (e.g., foreclosures, hoarding, or estate cleanouts)
Of course, 30 yard dumpsters are great for a wide range of other projects as well. The great thing about 30 yard containers are their versatility and price. It’s a mid-range pricing option that is usually not more than $50 more than a 20 yarder or $100 more than a 10 yard bin.
Save on 30 yard dumpster rental costs
We have several great resources to help you get the best bang for your buck on your next dumpster:
- Slash dumpster rental costs with this quick tip
- 3 easy ways to save on a 1-day dumpster rental
- 7 ways to get a discount on a dumpster rental
Get started now…
- Head over to HometownDumpsterRental.com and enter the city you need a dumpster in.
- Click on any of the dumpster rental companies listed, and read the customer reviews. Also, check out the dumpster sizes available from that particular company, along with other useful information to help you choose the ideal dumpster provider for you.
- Call 2 - 3 dumpster providers to ensure you’re getting the best pricing, and also so you can find one that has a 30 yard (or other size) dumpster available in the timeframe you need it.
- Book the dumpster over the phone and prep for the actual disposal part of the project.
If you’d like to learn more, visit the Hometown Dumpster Rental Blog to read more stories like this one.