Independence Day is here! The fourth of July is great time to spend time with the family, eat great food and light off some awesome fireworks. But what about the fireworks that aren’t so awesome?…AKA, the duds. Properly disposing of damaged, faulty or the fireworks missing wicks is extremely important.
First off, here’s what you don’t do:
- Throw all the duds in the fire pit
- Toss ‘em into the trash can
- Try to fix them
- Do something stupid with them and post a video on YouTube
According to the Kansas Department of Health and Environment, small quantities of household fireworks that are damaged or unexploded should by soaked in water until completely saturated. This could take 15 minutes or more – longer never hurts.
Once soaked in the water, immediately take the duds out of the water and place them in a plastic garbage bag. Double bag it and seal to make sure the fireworks don’t dry out. The failed fireworks can now be safely tossed into the trash can for proper disposal.
Have a safe and happy holiday!
More Information regarding Firework Safety: