How to Prepare for Dumpster Drop-off
How to Prepare for Dumpster Drop-off
It's a great idea to prep the spot you plan to have the dumpster placed, as it can save time and hassle when the driver shows up for delivery. This is not a difficult or time-consuming thing to do, and it will increase the likelihood that the entire process is problem-free.
Is it your first time renting a dumpster? Start with our Beginner’s Guide to Renting a Dumpster to get up to speed.
The dumpster rental preparation process is pretty simple, and it begins when first booking the dumpster over the phone or online.
Ask the dumpster rental provider if your proposed placement location is a viable option.
Some of the locations you may not be able to place a dumpster include:
- On a steep hill (Dumpster could shift or move.)
- On soft or sandy surfaces (Truck could get stuck.)
- Side of a city street (Dumpster permit may be required first.)
These are just a few examples, but reason enough to understand the importance of figuring out dumpster placement early on when booking the dumpster.
Best dumpster placement options
Ideally, a flat and hard surface is best. This would include a concrete or asphalt driveway, parking lot, street, or hard-packed dirt.
Ideal conditions aren’t always possible, so it’s best to discuss this with your dumpster rental provider prior to delivery.
Placement on softer surfaces, such as sand is possible if the proper prep work is done ahead of time. This may include placing plywood on the ground, or other similar solutions, to compensate for the less-than-ideal dumpster placement conditions.
Clean up and clear out obstructions
Ultimately, the best way to prepare for delivery of the dumpster is to make it as easy as possible for the truck driver to complete the drop-off.
Remove cars, kid’s toys, debris, trash cans, or in some cases, fences that may be in the way of the drop off zone.
A typical roll-off truck needs quite a bit of space to unload the dumpster, so keep that in mind when clearing off the driveway or drop-off location.
See the video below to get an idea of what the dumpster drop-off process looks like.
Dumpster property damage prevention
Clearing out obstructions, as previously mentioned, is one way to greatly reduce the chance of damage to property caused by the roll-off truck or the dumpster itself.
The more maneuvering the driver must do, the greater the risk of damage.
Another effective way to reduce damage to the surface of the driveway, street, or parking lot is to place boards beneath the contact points where the dumpster meets the ground.
Placing plywood or boards beneath the dumpster can greatly reduce the risk of damage to concrete or asphalt caused by the weight of the load.
Plan to put down the plywood at the dumpster placement area before the driver arrives to drop it off.
This plywood will almost certainly be damaged under the weight of the dumpster, so keep that in mind. This is a small price to pay compared to dealing with driveway damage.
It’s important to point out that dumpsters do not cause any type of damage in most cases. However, heavy loads can run a risk.
- When booking a dumpster, discuss dumpster placement location with the rental provider. The dumpster rental company will offer tips and/or restrictions. Also, ask if they place boards underneath the dumpster.
- Clear out the area the dumpster will be placed and the path the truck will take in dropping off and picking up the container (e.g., driveway)
- Put plywood down on soft surfaces or if driveway damage is a concern. The rental provider may or may not accommodate these needs, so be prepared with your own plywood or boards if necessary.
Learn more about the dumpster rental process, sizes, prices and more:
- Complete guide to dumpster rental sizes
- Roll-off container pricing guide in U.S. markets
- All about trailer dumpsters: Reduce risk of driveway damage with rubber-wheeled dumpsters
- What can go in a dumpster and what can’t?
If you’re ready to read reviews and get free quotes from dumpster rental companies in your area, head over to Hometown Dumpster Rental’s homepage and use the search box to find your city.