A 4 yard dumpster is a midsize commercial front-load dumpster that is versatile in its usage. It’s a great option for many types of retail businesses, multifamily properties, and more.
We’ll cover all you need to know about 4 yard dumpsters, including common dimensions, costs, and other considerations.
4 yard dumpster size
Four-yard dumpsters are commonly used at brick-and-mortar businesses, gas stations, midsize restaurants, etc.
When a 2 yard dumpster isn’t enough capacity to accommodate the disposal needs of the business, 4 yard dumpsters may be the perfect solution.
Common 4 yard Dumpster Size: 6 ft wide x 4 ft deep x 5 ft high
(Dimensions may vary.)
4 yard dumpster costs
There are several key factors influencing the cost of commercial trash collection. 4 yard dumpsters offer a great balance between affordability and loading capacity.
Expect to pay in the neighborhood of $110 to $135 per month for 4 yard dumpster service. These costs typically include weekly emptying of the container.
Main factors that will affect the price of commercial trash collection:
- Pick-up frequency
- Weight of debris
Location: The further the waste hauler has to drive to the location, the more it will cost for service. The time and fuel costs associated with dumpster service is a major factor.
TIP: Choose a commercial dumpster company that is located close to your business to keep costs low.
Pick-up Schedule: Most commercial waste service includes weekly pick-ups in the price. For more frequent pick-ups, such as bi-weekly, the cost will increase.
TIP: Use a 6 or 8 yard dumpster rather than a 4 yard bin if the 4 yard dumpster needs to be emptied multiple times per week. It will reduce costs.
Weight and Volume of Debris: Exceeding the weight limit can lead to additional fees. If this becomes an ongoing issue, switch to a larger dumpster to eliminate overage fees.
Related reading: Complete guide to roll-off dumpster costs
Dumpster laws vary by city
Laws regulating commercial dumpster placement and enclosure requirements vary by city. Some municipalities have strict laws while others are a bit more flexible.
Below is an example of some of the requirements spelled out in Hollywood, Florida’s municipal code:
- Enclosures, like fences, are required if the dumpster is in public view
- Dumpsters cannot be placed in a location that would cause the garbage truck to block a street intersection during pick-up
- Enclosure must be at least 12 inches taller than the highest point of the dumpster
- Permit from the Building Division is required to build the dumpster enclosure
Check your city's government website to learn more about local commercial dumpster requirements.
Is a 4 yard dumpster the right choice for your business?
Versatile four-yard dumpsters work well for gas stations, retail shops, medium-sized office buildings, small apartment complexes, etc.
The best way to know if a 4 yard front-load dumpster is the right option for your situation is to call and discuss your disposal needs with local commercial waste haulers. Check with multiple haulers to ensure you’re getting the best service and price.
When calling, have the following information on hand:
- Types of debris or trash your business generates (e.g., recyclables, food waste, etc.)
- Approximate number of trash bags generated each day and/or average foot traffic
- Location and desired dumpster placement on the property. Are there any accessibility challenges that a large commercial front-load garbage truck would face?
- Is this dumpster shared with other businesses?
- Desired pick-up frequency
- Any other details you feel would be pertinent to your situation
Start your research today by search entering your city in the search bar at HometownDumpsterRental.com. You can also click the link below to browse local waste haulers. Read reviews and learn more about each waste hauling company to find the one that meets your needs.