Updated July 1, 2022
Getting rid of old junk cluttering up your basement doesn't have to be a long or complicated project.
Hometown can help you find companies and services in your area to help you get rid of junk in your basement.
Hire a Junk Removal Company
The easiest and fastest way to get rid of junk from your basement is to hire a junk removal company.
Professional junk removal services are fast and efficient, and the goal of these services is to leave you with a clean, clear space void of clutter as quickly as possible.
How to Get Junk Removal Services:
- Contact several junk removal companies in your area for quotes.
Most companies will want to come to your location to assess your project and provide an in-person quote.
If you agree to the in-person quote, they'll usually get to work and start removing your unwanted items right away.
If your project is on the smaller scale, they may ask for photos or video so that they can provide a pricing estimate virtually.
- After you've gotten quotes and you've decided which company you'd like to hire, schedule a date and time for the junk removal service.
- The junk removal company will send a crew, usually made up of 2 people, to your location.
You direct them on which items need to go and they'll start loading their vehicle with your items right away.
- Once the removal crew has removed all of the unwanted junk from your basement, they will haul it off to be disposed.
If your items can be reused, they'll typically be recycled or donated. Items that aren't recyclable will be hauled off to a landfill.
- You'll receive an invoice after the junk removal service has been completed.
Finding a reputable junk removal service near you is easy with Hometown.
We publish locally-owned junk removal companies throughout the U.S. and verify that they are licensed, bonded, and insured to perform the work.
- Understanding Junk Removal Quotes
- How to Choose the Best Junk Removal Company
- How Much It Costs to Clean Out a Cluttered Basement
- Junk Removal Prices Near Me and How to Get a Good Deal
Rent a Dumpster
If you have 7 or more cubic yards of unwanted junk in your basement to get rid of, dumpster rental might be the best disposal method for you.
This method requires the lifting and loading to be done by you, so make sure you have the strength, assistance, or tools to safely haul your items from the basement into the dumpster.
How the Dumpster Rental Process Works
- Contact several dumpster rental companies in your area for quotes.
In order to get the most accurate quote, be as detailed as possible about the amount and type of items you intend on throwing into the dumpster.
Going over your weight limit, rental period, or adding prohibited items can all result in additional fees that may not reflect the initial quote you were given.
- After you've gotten quotes and you've decided which company you'd like to hire, schedule a date and time for the dumpster to be delivered.
Be sure to understand the terms and conditions of your rental agreement before delivery to avoid the potential additional fees mentioned above.
- The dumpster company will send a delivery driver to your location to place your rental wherever you'd like (as long as local regulations are followed).
- Start loading your rental with the junk from your basement that you're ready to throw out.
If you rent a roll-off container, open the swinging side doors to make loading easier.
- Once you're done loading your dumpster, call the rental company to schedule pickup.
- The rental company will send someone to load your dumpster and haul it to the landfill where it will be weighed before being dumped.
- You'll receive an invoice after the dumpster company has hauled your items to the landfill.
As long as you follow the terms and conditions of your rental agreement, your final bill should reflect the initial quote you were given.
As is the case with junk removal, the best pricing and customer service is typically given by locally-owned dumpster rental companies.
Finding local dumpster companies near you and requesting multiple quotes to compare pricing is fast and free with Hometown.
We recommend getting at least 3 different dumpster rental estimates to make sure you get great service for a great price.